What Are the Benefits of AHCC?
The benefits of AHCC can be summed up in three words: immune system health. AHCC is clinically tested and proven to support improved immune system health. A strong and healthy immune system is critical in keeping you healthy and well. The trickle-down benefits of a healthy immune system allow you to fend off dangerous bacteria, viruses, infections, and disease. AHCC has been clinically studied and tested to have positive benefits for people with cancer, diabetes, the flu, HPV, liver ailments, cardiovascular disease, stress, and inflammation.
As an extra benefit, AHCC helps you better withstand the impacts of treatments for many of these debilitating diseases and conditions. For healthy people, AHCC is useful in health maintenance and in preventing infection by aiding in the normal function of your immune system. In integrative oncology, research indicates that AHC may lead to longer post-operative survival, help support patients through chemotherapy, reduce the negative effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and lead to an improvement in quality of life.
WHAT IS AHCC?
AHCC is a functional food. AHCC is derived from healing mushrooms. AHCC has anti-inflammatory, immune system enhancing, immunomodulatory, and antioxidant properties. The facts on AHCC are:
- AHCC is a functional food that is rich in alpha-glucans.
- AHCC is manufactured in Japan by Amino Up Chemical Co., Ltd.
- AHCC is used in hospitals, universities, and other institutions around the world.
- AHCC modulates your body’s innate immunity and supports healthy immune function.
- AHCC is shown to modulate the immune system by maintaining optimal natural killer (NK) cell activity, enhancing cytokine production, promoting T-cell and macrophage activity, and increasing the number and activity of dendritic cells.
HOW DOES AHCC SUPPORT THE IMMUNE SYSTEM?
- You have 2 basic types of immunity: innate and adaptive.
- Your innate immunity launches an immediate, non-specific attack against a threat.
- Your adaptive immunity takes longer to react, but produces a specific response tailored to the particular microbe.
- Your innate immunity is made of 4 key players: cytokines, natural killer (NK) cells, macrophages, and dendritic cells.
- Your adaptive immunity is made up of B and T cells.
- Increasing the production of cytokines.
- Increasing the activity of NK cells by as much as 300 – 800%.
- Increasing populations of macrophages, in some cases, doubling them.
- Increasing the number of dendritic cells.
- Increasing the number of T cells by as much as 200%.
AHCC AND CANCER
- Hair loss: doctors have noted that chemotherapy patients taking AHCC did not lose their hair.
- Nausea: clinical studies in Korea and Japan indicate that AHCC remarkably improves symptoms of nausea and vomiting in cancer patients.
- Bone marrow suppression: chemotherapy can inhibit bone marrow function. Because our white blood cells originate in the bone marrow, this is a life-threatening side effect. AHCC is shown to increase the white blood cell count in cancer patients by 30%.
- Liver damage: one of the major drawbacks of chemotherapy is that it kills healthy cells in addition to cancer cells. Recent studies show that the impacts of chemotherapy on the liver can be alleviated with AHCC. Learn about our human clinical trials into AHCC, cancer, and chemotherapy