What is AHCC® and what are its benefits?
AHCC has been used successfully to treat a wide range of health conditions, from minor ailments such as colds and flu, to serious diseases such as cancer, hepatitis, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
How can one dietary ingredient be effective against so many types of health problems?
The answer is that many acute and chronic conditions share a hidden cause: compromised immunity. And as a biological response modifier, AHCC turns the dial up on your natural immune response, helping you fight all kinds of threats to your health.
AN IMMUNE SYSTEM PRIMER
The immune system’s job is to protect you from harm. It is always scanning your body to determine if bacteria, viruses, toxins, parasites and other pathogens have entered your system or if any of your cells have mutated and become abnormal.
You have two basic types of immunity: innate and adaptive. Your innate immunity launches an immediate, non-specific attack against a threat. Your adaptive immunity takes longer to kick in, but produces a specific response to a particular microbe.
KEY PLAYERS OF INNATE IMMUNITY: YOUR FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE
- Cytokines: Chemical messengers that help immune cells communicate and coordinate an immune response
- Natural killer (NK) cells: White blood cells (WBC) that recognize and destroy infected or abnormal cells by injecting granules into them, causing them to explode
- Macrophages: WBC that engulf and ingest bacteria and cellular debris
- Dendritic cells: WBC that present foreign substances to B and T cells, initiating an adaptive response
KEY PLAYERS OF ADAPTIVE IMMUNITY: YOUR SECOND LINE OF DEFENSE
- B and T cells: Both B cells (which mature in bone marrow) and T cells (which mature in the thymus) are lymphocytes, WBC that are able to recognize previous invaders and destroy them with a specific response
PROVEN BENEFITS OF AHCC
In vivo and human clinical trials have shown that AHCC modifies both the innate and adaptive immune response, by:
- Increasing the production of cytokines
- Increasing the activity of NK cells by as much as 300-800%
- Increasing populations of macrophages, in some cases doubling them
- Increasing the number of dendritic cells
- Increasing the number of T cells by as much as 200%